Snapshots and Letters:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A rant. Its my time.


Am I missing out? This weekend a slew of los Americanos are venturing into Portugal to the picture paradise known as Lagos. I, joining a miniscule minority of misfits, am opting out. The cost of the trip is tremendous (180 euro! or more than 200 dollars) though it provides 2 meals, room and board, 2 free drinks, and access to a beach party.

Though I still have class Friday, it’s a long weekend for most Sevillanos. Lola (my senora) is going to the beach with her amigas (she seems to party a lot for an older lady) and her son is staying with family I presume. She said she’ll leave me enough money for 4 days worth of lunch and dinner at restaurants. Probably around 50 euros I’m guessing… So I suppose I will finally get to explore some restaurants I’ve been wanting to try without destroying my budget.

So what am I to do? I have Sevilla to myself, quite literally. I guess, I plan to find one person I know to go out with at night. During the day, I want to write and read until my hands go numb and my eyes dissolve into my frontal lobe. Grotesque no? Torturous no? I’m working around ideas for a story to write… Nothing so grandiose as THE Story that some of you old middle school friends might remember from long ago. However, a story nonetheless.

I do half wish I would have made arrangements to travel. There is a free day trip to the beaches of Cadiz on Sunday but… it sounds kinda tiring and boorish to me. I suppose I’ll figure out something to do. All the Americanos just go to such boring places. Lagos. A beach. Beautiful. Woo hoopidie Doo. Why not Ibiza?! Or Basque Country?! Or Andorra?! At least consider a Parador (Spainish palace, convent, castle, etc.) for godsakes. I found out there are student rates for Paradores in Portugal and Spain starting at only 20 euros including a complementary breakfast. Hostels cost 20 euros. Two meals cost 20 euros. All the boring-everyday-humdrum necessities of life costs somewhere around 20 euros. Why not jump on something exciting and different?!

P.S. I´ll definately add something interesting beyond rants soon. I still have yet to mention my grafitti observations.

No comments: